September 02, 2017

Weekend with Music: In the Blood (Home Free Version)

Engramme's Weekend with Music #10: John Mayer's 'In the Blood' by Home Free (Listening A2-B1)


Once again it's Saturday, Song Day on Engramme: Your Daily English Programme. And this weekend, we're bringing country music to your homes. So relax, listen and enjoy :)

Watch, Listen & Enjoy

Home Free is an all-vocal country band originating from Minnesota, United States. It is an a cappella group of five vocalists: Austin Brown, Rob Lundquist, Adam Rupp, Tim Foust, and Adam Chance. Below is their version of John Mayer's song: "In the Blood".

Watch and Listen to the Song: What do you think is the 'theme' of this song?


The Lyrics

"In the Blood" is a song full of question marks! It, therefore, provides a good opportunity for learners, especially at A2-B1 levels, to practice the format and formation of questions in English. Look at the song lyrics below: Can you guess/remember the missing words?

Watch and Listen Again: Fill in the blanks with the words you hear (much of the song is repetitive; so don't worry if you don't get all the words the first time)
(mouse over the blue-colored words to see their meaning)
How much of my mother ____ my mother left in me?
How much of my love _____  ____ insane to some degree?
And what about this feeling that I'm never good enough?
_____  ___ wash out in the water, or ___  ___ always in the blood?

How much of my father ____  ___ destined to become?
____  ___ dim the lights inside me just to satisfy someone?
____  ___ let this woman kill me, or do away with jealous love?
____  ___ wash out in the water, or ___  ___ always in the blood?

I can feel the love I want, I can feel the love I need
But it's never gonna come the way I am
______  ___ change it if I wanted, ____  ___ rise above the flood?
____  ___ wash out in the water, or ___  ___ always in the blood?

How much like my brothers, ___ my brothers wanna be?
_____ a broken home become another broken family?
Or _____ we ___ there for each other, like nobody ever could?
____  ___ wash out in the water, or ___  ___ always in the blood?

I can feel the love I want, I can feel the love I need
But it's never gonna come the way I am
______  ___ change it if I wanted, ____  ___ rise above the flood?
____  ___ wash out in the water, or ___  ___ always in the blood?
(2x)

Wish You a Wonderful Weekend! If you missed any of last week's posts, you can access them all HERE

Click here if you wish to Review the Vocabulary from this lesson.

Teachers can Download a pdf Version of the lesson HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment