August 12, 2017

Weekend with Music: Thomas Rhett's Sixteen

weekend with music

Engramme's Weekend with Music #7 - Thomas Rhett: Sixteen (Listening A2-B2)

Welcome to Weekend with Music No. 7. I'm sure you'll like this Saturday's choice, another sweet country song by Thomas Rhett, looking back on his teens and early youth: "Sixteen". Let's take a listen:

stop and think

Song Lyrics

Take a Look at the Song Lyrics: Can you guess what the missing words are? (We've highlighted those words that might help with the answers1)
mouse over the underlined words/expressions to see more
[1]
Take a left here boy, take it slow
Don't get d________d by that radio
I just rolled my eyes and I said, "Daddy, I know"
I'm fifteen, I ain't2 gr_____ like some ol' ten-year-old

[2]
What I wouldn't give to be sixteen, wild and free
Cr________ up and down Main in my F-150
Roll the windows down, bass too loud from this b______d CD
I'll be right where I wanna be when I'm sixteen
Sixteen, yeah

[3]
Now that I can drive, finally feel a­­­­­_____e, but I got this curfew
Sneakin' in late, smellin' like my girlfriend's p_______e
People talk about college and knowledge and that's alright
But all I'm thinkin'3 'bout is an unsupervised Saturday night

[4]
What I wouldn't give to be eighteen, wild and free
Lookin' old enough to pull off this f_____ ID
I'll be right where I wanna be
When I'm eighteen
Eighteen, yeah

[5]
I'm old enough to s______
I'm old enough to v____
But they turn me away when I go to the Cotton Eyed Joe
They say the grass is always ______er
And I believe that's right
But my friends are off to Vegas, they're leavin' me b_____d

[6]
What I wouldn't give to be twenty one, wild and free
Open up a cold one and drink it ______ly
Chase a bunch of girls, go see the world
Let my wild streak run
I'll be right where I wanna be
When I'm twenty one, twenty one
Woah, when I'm twenty one
Yeah, when I'm twenty one, it'll be al______
Yeah…

[7]
Now I'm twenty five and I'm drinkin' wine with my wife ___  h_____
Got a couple of dogs and a couple songs on the radio
And we sit a______ and we laugh about how we used to be
When all we cared about was t_____g sixteen

watch and listen

Watch, Listen & Enjoy

Listen to the Song: Check if your guesses were right ;)


Liked the Song? Click here to listen to this artist's other works.

Wish You a Wonderful Weekend! Missed any of #week7's posts? Click here.

We've Prepared a print-friendly copy of the lyrics for teachers to use in the classroom... You're welcome! :)

1 This activity will help you notice a number of vocabulary-related features of the English language, including two-part verbs, collocations, idiomatic expressions, and various parts of speech.
2 (esp. in southern US accents) replaces "isn't, aren't, hasn't, didn't, etc"
3 In some US accents, the 'g' at the end of -ing verbs is dropped in pronunciation (shown here with an 'apostrophe')

No comments:

Post a Comment